Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Jesus Meme

Lynn, from Spilling Ink In Public, allowed me to "tag" myself with the Jesus meme, on which she posted and made some pretty good observations. The point of the meme is to post five things that I dig about Jesus, so here goes:

1. He shares my burdens and my grief. I Pet. 5:7 - "Casting all of your anxiety upon Him, for He cares for you."

2. He loves me so much He died for me. John 3:16 - "God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, and whoever believes on Him will not perish but have everlasting life," and Ephesians 3:19 - "...the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge..." and Ephesians 5:1 -"live in love, just as Christ also loved us and gave himself for us, a sacrificial and fragrant offering to God," and I John 4:19 - "We love, because He first loved us."

3. He came back from the dead and brought me eternal life. John 11:25-26 - "Jesus said to her, " I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies, and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die."

4. He gave me the right be a child of God. John 1:12 - "But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name."

5. He stands up for me. I John 2:1-2 - "if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; and He Himself is the propitiation (the atoning sacrifice) for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world."

6. He controls the wind and the sea. Matthew 14:25-33 - During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said, and cried out in fear. But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid." "Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water." "Come," he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!" Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?" And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God."

(That was an extra!!)

I liked how Lynn did this - if you want to participate, you can tag yourself in the comments, and then just let us know you're going to post. Cool idea!! :)

1 comment:

lawyerchik said...

5 Comments:
Susie said...
I second it all! It tickles me that people are doing this!

(Oh, and God forgive me, I LOVE Reno 911. "You a dancer?" "No, I'm just drunk.")

12:40 PM
Lynn said...
Very nice job. I really liked that bonus one. I liked it a lot. Thanks for tagging yourself, my friend.

Reno 911, huh? Susie cracks me up!!

:-)

:-)

:-)

1:50 PM
lawyerchik said...
Thanks, guys! It was a really neat thing to do - the funny part is, as I was doing this, I realized that, as much as we talk in churches *about* Jesus, we don't often get into who He is. Kind of like a relative that you've known all your life who did this great thing for you, but you don't really know much about him beyond the stuff everybody knows, even though it's right there for you to find out if you are interested.

5:30 AM
Sometimes Saintly Nick said...
I enjoy the way you did this. As one who also responded to Lynn’s, uh, “request” to do the Jesus Meme, I’m making the rounds to see how others responded.

11:42 AM
lawyerchik said...
Thanks for stopping by, Nick! Welcome!! :)

12:33 PM