Thanks to Jules, and her link to a blog entry she found elsewhere and linked to, I found myself searching for something vaguely familiar, thinking it had to be someplace in the Psalms. In light of all of the general junk floating around in my head lately, this just had to be said. And who better to say it than David, a man after God's own heart! (The text is copied from NETBible at bible.org - the breaks are mine, and I broke it up based on what I thought kept thoughts together, to try to make it read a little easier.)
1. Shout out praise to God, all the earth!
2. Sing praises about the majesty of his reputation!
Give him the honor he deserves!
3. Say to God:
“How awesome are your deeds!
Because of your great power your enemies cower in fear before you.
4. All the earth worships you
and sings praises to you!
They sing praises to your name!” (Selah)
5. Come and witness God’s exploits!
His acts on behalf of people are awesome!
6. He turned the sea into dry land;
they passed through the river on foot.
Let us rejoice in him there!
7. He rules by his power forever;
he watches the nations.
Stubborn rebels should not exalt themselves. (Selah)
8. Praise our God, you nations!
Loudly proclaim his praise!
9. He preserves our lives
and does not allow our feet to slip.
10. For you, O God, tested us;
you purified us like refined silver.
11. You led us into a trap;
you caused us to suffer.
12. You allowed men to ride over our heads;
we passed through fire and water,
but you brought us out into a wide open place.
13. I will enter your temple with burnt sacrifices;
I will fulfill the vows I made to you,
14. which my lips uttered
and my mouth spoke when I was in trouble.
15. I will offer up to you fattened animals as burnt sacrifices,
along with the smell of sacrificial rams.
I will offer cattle and goats. (Selah)
16. Come! Listen, all you who are loyal to God!
I will declare what he has done for me.
17. I cried out to him for help
and praised him with my tongue.
18. If I had harbored sin in my heart,
the Lord would not have listened.
19. However, God heard;
he listened to my prayer.
20. God deserves praise,
for he did not reject my prayer
or abandon his love for me!