Monday, May 7, 2007

Busy Hands

All things being equal this summer, this is going to be my new place to hang out:



I won't be a full-time resident - I'll be lucky if I get down there once a month during the summer! - but hopefully, I will leave sticky noseprints on the windows enough to feel comfortable calling it mine.

No, I did not win the lottery, and no, I am not moving in. I went by there on my way back from court to pick out a birthday gift for one of my friends at work, and I just decided (right then) that I would give this place a more prominent place in my life than it has occupied for the last several decades.

This is Pewabic Pottery. To quote from their website, "Founded in 1903 during the Arts & Crafts Movement, Pewabic is nationally renowned for its tile and pottery in unique glazes. Today it is a non profit ceramic art education center which welcomes 70,000 visitors annually."

The cool thing is they offer classes (which I am nowhere near ready to take) and they have a fabulous museum store, which is where I got my friend's birthday gift. I hope she likes it. She's from Cleveland, but she loves cool neat stuff, and since her husband designed their house like a Frank Lloyd Wright place (in keeping with the Arts and Crafts movement), I thought that a vase from Pewabic Pottery would fit into their decor as well as be a nice little thing for her to introduce her to the place if she isn't familiar with it.

Of course, the "pusher" in me thinks that if she gets hooked on it, too, I will have yet another partner in crime for trips to the museum, but we won't tell anyone about that, will we..... :)

No comments: