Thursday, May 24, 2007

RTFM

Well, part of my recent mood swinging may indeed be hormonal..... I know. Just what you wanted to read right now. Sorry if you were eating - NOT! :)

What sucks is that my mother and my grandmother and my maternal aunt all had hysterectomies before they were my age. My grandmother is deceased anyway, so barring a seance (which I wouldn't try), I couldn't ask her, but still. My mom's answer to the questions about "changes" in certain otherwise fairly regular events was, "Well, I don't know what to tell you - I had a hysterectomy before I was your age, so I don't know..... You should make an appointment with your doctor and get a check up. You really should have them once a year...."

DUH.

My aunt had a total hysterectomy at age 35 or 36 (I think - I either wasn't born or was only a baby). She had been diagnosed with breast cancer, and in those days (i.e., the 1960s), they did a radical mastectomy, total hysterectomy, and chemo and radiation. She is still around some 40+ years later, but I think her recollection of the care and maintenance of lady parts is probably a little outdated.

At age 31 or so, my mom had to have an ovarian cyst removed because it had ruptured, but she went on to give birth to my youngest brother a few years after that. The hysterectomy was when she was maybe 42. Her attitude, from what I recall, was "whew!" Again, not helpful.

Where is the freakin' manual when you need one?????

No comments: