Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Rumplestiltskin

The words to the song "How to Save a Life" have been running through my head all afternoon. Maybe if I give them another place to continue playing, I can think about the fourteen things I have to do this afternoon before I leave:

Where did I go wrong, I lost a friend
Somewhere along in the bitterness
And I would have stayed up with you all night
Had I known how to save a life.

Not sure why I'm being haunted by these words, now that I look at them in the light. It reminds me of the fairy tale Rumplestiltskin in that when the girl held captive to spin straw into gold finally called her captor by his name, he lost his power over her and disappeared. Maybe looking at the words robs them of their power to hold me?

Probably true of other things, too.

No comments: